Thursday, September 20, 2007

section in progress.

click to enlarge
My last post was on the 14 th, I wish I could post new post every day.
However lets say its not about quantity, its about quality.
This post to say, I am on the case.
Its for the section with the interior spaces resolved.
Ted, is the section now gives the sence of the interior space? or not yet?
I am struggling with the other section of Dartmouth street.

when I feel tired from working on the Dartmouth section I work on the axonometric for the baby born, I think it would reveal the Interior and its relationships among the diffrent volumes. it will be my next post and hopefully in addition to the new section of Dartmouth street.
all best.
Amr

2 comments:

bac dmarch said...

Amr,

Yes, it is about quality, not quntity. Though I worry when things get quite.

I don't understand the grid on the section. It is flattening it and seems to defy an ability to see into the space. The escalators seem turned toward the viewer, but there is no space around them. The staggered gap toward the rear of the building is very clear. The roof scape is also clear. Your plans don't seem to align with the section. The plans have many openings in many locations across each floor plate. I don't find them in the section. My sense is the section might improve with less information. Pull the floor titles off to one side, more like an architectural drawing. It is hard to differentiate solid surfaces from non-solid ones. The rays of colored light, represented by dashed lines interfere with my reading of the plan.

I don't mean to be harsh with this list of issues, I am trying to bring the same level of clarity to the section that is in the plans. I almost feel like a standard architectural section might be worth starting, then add only a few layers of additional information. Not the full array shown here. The building deserves such clarity.

Eddie Alvarado said...

Amr,

I agree with Ted when he refers to the depth of the drawing. I was having a challenge earlier today when I was looking at your section. To me, what's missing is the guts in the drawing, for example the floors seem paper thin, therefore it throws me off when I try to see how much ceiling the person has between the floors, or how much cantilever there is, if there is any. I think your vertical shafts are so powerful, but are perhaps missing the boxer's uppercut because the line is thin. I see tree tops at the roof and inside the store, but cannot tell how the planter is part of the architecture, is the planter recessed or raised. I think you get the idea. In my metaphor I always see sections like a chainsaw cut through a building and everything inside ooze upon execution. :-) Regardless, this scheme is off the hook brother!!!!!!

BAC, Distance March, Design Studio

Apple Store, Boston , MA